Dr. Jeff Arthurs, Guest Speaker
Intro: The doctrine of the Holy Trinity is the heart of our faith. It is found in the Apostles’ Creed.
Definition: One God existing from all eternity as three Persons.
We come to this doctrine, this revealed word, with humility and wonder. Why do we believe it? It has been revealed.
1. God is One.
[Dt. 6:4; Is. 46:9]
2. In three Persons
- Implied in OT
- Genesis 1:26, Let us make man in our own image.
- Gen. 3:22, Man has now become like one of us.
- Gen. 11:3, And they said to each other, Come, let us go down and confuse their language.
- Is. 9:6, Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
- Gen. 1:1-2, In the beginning God created…and the Spirit was hovering…
- More explicit in the NT
- Baptism (Matt. 3:16-17). Spirit descending and Father saying . . . .
- Great Commission (Matt. 28:19). Baptize in the name of . . . .
- Benediction (2 Cor. 13:14). Grace of the Lord Jesus, love of God, and fellowship of the Holy Spirit . . . .
- High Priestly Prayer (John 14:16). I will ask the Father and he will give you the Spirit of Truth.
- Deity of Christ (Romans 9:5). From them is traced the human ancestry of Christ who is God over all, forever praised, Amen.
- Deity of Christ
- Philippians 2:5-8.
- Roles/hats (father, husband, pastor). No—this is what the ancient church called “modalism.”
- Egg (three parts of one). No—the three parts do not share the qualities of the other parts.
- Water (same essence in three forms). Better, but only appearance is different.
- Human psyche (we can hold conversation with self).
- Three dimensions of space (height, width, depth).
Note: the nature of reality is usually (always?) more complex than first glance reveals. It will be at least as complex as physics.
4. Implications. This is the central reality of the universe. The grand dance of diversity within unity is a dance of mutual honor, love, and submission. That is the essence of reality—love.
- Eternal life. By grace we are grafted into this life. We become by grace what Christ is by nature—sons of God. How does this occur? He shares it with us.
Ephesians 2: 4-6
- Christian life.
- Marriage. Unity and diversity. Equal standing, value, personhood, but distinct roles.
1 Cor. 11:3
- Church. Diversity and unity.
1 Cor. 12:12
- Humility, submission, and love.John 15:9