Recently I purchased a new power speed drill to puncture concrete and burned out three drill bits because I needed to go slower to actually accomplish the goal I had hoped for.
Your approach will often determine your outcome
Review: There are four approaches towards The Sermon On The Mount:
- The Liberal
- The Existential
- The Literal
- The Dispensational
Two Approaches Contrast Dostoevsky and Tolstoy — one went mad and the other found Peace. How is it for you?
- The secret to finding peace in the Sermon on The Mount is to see Jesus all the way through.
- He is superior to the law.
- He is sufficient for salvation and He is the Source of Strength.
Jesus demands a ruthlessly realistic look at the deep forces of our humanity that compete for control of your life — deep sexual desires, deep desires for revenge and retaliation and deep anger that explodes.
How do you approach this teaching of Jesus?
Examples Gandhi quote, triple purity- I can do it.
Another extreme: Don’t be meek do what you feel. Example: Basketball player 11 kids with10 different women. What do you inherit if you just do what you feel?
So just don’t be meek be strong do what you want. WHAT WILL YOU INHERIT?
Who are the meek ones? (Greek mythological goddess Makaria) I am living in the land of sufficiency regardless of my circumstances I am not dependent upon my mood my passions the reactions of other people or the threats to my security or safety.
Where does Jesus get this? Psalm 37:
v.11: “But the humble will inherit the land and will delight themselves in abundant prosperity.”
Look at the adjectives: v.3 trust. v.5 commit your way, v.7 be still, v.9 those who hope, v.9 inherit the land, v.11 inherit the land.
Your blessed if you delight, trust, and hope in the Lord (then) good things, or God things, will come to you
- World says, “What will not kill you will only make you stronger.”
- Jesus’ way: “What you allow to kill you will make you fully dependent upon God.”
Jesus teaching here is that He not only wants to start a relationship with you, HE WANTS TO SUSTAIN IT WITH HIS STRENGTH.
- Who gets to inherit the land?
- The Meek Moses, Jesus
Matthew 11:28-30: “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Meekness is strength brought under control. In a Biblical sense it refers to someone who has channeled their strength into the service of God.
A prize fighter whose hands are registered weapons, but only uses strength at the proper time in the proper place for the proper purpose.
Greek word PRAUS means tamed, broken, voice command, under the submission of the Master.
AW Tozer: Study 2,000 years of church history… The one common characteristic of those who have been highly used of God are those who intimately know the Shepherd’s voice and immediately obey when He speaks.
How do people get PRAUS? Biblically speaking (Alan Nelson) there are 5 Ways:
- Close encounters with God (Isaiah 6)
- Seeking God in Threatening circumstances (Genesis 32)
- Meeting God after serious moral failure (Psalm 51)
- Circumstances that threaten to destroy our lives (Job 1-3)
- Fervent love for God produces brokenness (Matthew 26:36-46)
III. CONCLUSION – Close Bring it Home to SBF and prepare for communion…
- Poor: Yes I can see that
- Mourn: Oh I know that
- MEEK: Not me I am an American with Yankee ingenuity, I can fix my poverty and I can snap out of my mourning. No you can’t. Both of them position you to become meek and let Him live through you.
THE GLOVE ILLUSTRATION: HE IS BOTH THE STRENGTH AND THE CONTROL, you and I are only the glove…
Here is the genius of Jesus it is not MY strength under His control RATHER it is HIS strength out of MY CONTROL. It is doing LIFE a different way.
New Future at SBF: Not our strength not our control
Spiritual Environment here MAJESTY of GOD, TRANSPARENCY of our SOULS, and THE REALITY of GOD’S PRESENCE.