How do we know if, or when, we are diving into missionality?
Missionality goes beyond any ministry or program – even evangelism. For instance, a ‘missional’ small group is not necessarily one which is doing some kind of specific ‘evangelism’ program (though that is to be recommended). Rather…
- If its members love and talk positively about the city/neighborhood,
- If they speak in language that is not filled with pious tribal or technical terms and phrases, nor disdainful and embattled, or embittered, language,
- If in their Bible study they apply the gospel to the core concerns and stories of the people of the culture,
- If they are obviously interested in and engaged with the literature and art and thought of the surrounding culture and can discuss it both appreciatively and yet critically,
- If they exhibit deep concern for the poor
- If they show generosity with their money
- If they show purity and respect with regard to opposite sex
- If they show humility toward people of other races and cultures
- If they do not bash other Christians and churches.
Then seekers and non-believing people from the city…
- Will be invited and
- Will come and will stay as they explore spiritual issues.
If these marks are not there it will only be able to include believers or traditional, “Christianized” people.